6 May 2021
* We are informed that the Shipowners have now declared General Average.
* General Average security will be required from all Cargo Interests prior to the delivery of their goods. We are already in contact with the nominated Average Adjusters in respect of the GA security requirements and may be able to assist in that regard.
* At this time the vessel remains in Port Klang anchorage, Malaysia awaiting for a barge from Singapore to discharge damaged containers before the vessel continues its voyage to India.
* An Expert has also been retained with a view to investigating the causes of this casualty. We also have a cargo surveyor on standby to attend surveys as required and are also seeking a list of the damaged boxes.
* Should you insure any cargo on board the INTERASIA CATALYST we strongly recommend that you contact us as soon as possible so we can protect your positon.
21 April 2021
* We have received a further report that the fire on board container ship, INTERASIA CATALYST, has been completely extinguished on 12 April 2021.
* It is also reported that the vessel, some containers and cargo have suffered damage as a result of the fire and/or fire extinguishing efforts, though the extent of which has yet to be determined. Shipowners are currently taking steps to notify all affected Cargo Interests.
* The Vessel currently remains in Port Klang, Malaysia and there is likely to be significant delays in transhipment of containers considering the nature of the loss and extent of investigation still required to determine cause of loss.
* It is expected that recovery issues may arise as a result of the fire and/or fire extinguishing efforts and/or in respect of any deterioration of temperature and/or time sensitive cargo and/or contractual claims for delay in delivery of cargo at destination arising from the casualty.
* Additionally, shipowners are reportedly also considering if General Average should be declared. If so, GA security may be required from all Cargo Interests prior to the delivery of their cargo and we are likely to be able to assist in that regard.
* Given the seriousness of this incident we would strongly recommend that you contact us as a matter of urgency if you are concerned with any cargo stowed on board the vessel.
* We have received reports that a fire was ignited in containers on board fully cellular container ship, INTERASIA CATALYST, on 5 April 2021, shortly after the vessel had departed from Port Klang.
* Assistance to extinguish the fire was initially provided by four tugs and the vessel was later able to return to anchor at Port Klang under its own power, where additional fire fighting assistance was provided to the vessel by local emergency services.
* It is reported that the fire remained burning in several containers as at 11 April 2021.
* At least three containers are reported to be stuffed with sodium carbonate peroxyhydrate and wooden furniture, yarn, plastics and industrial products are reported to be stowed to other containers.
* It is possible that General Average, Salvage and Recovery issues may arise as a result of this incident.
* We are investigating further, but in the meantime if you are concerned with any cargo on board this vessel we suggest that you contact us so that we may start taking steps to protect your interests.