* It is reported that bulk carrier CRIMSON POLARIS grounded off Hachinohe, Japan, on 11th August 2021 after encountering strong winds whilst lying at anchor.
* It is further reported that as a consequence of the grounding the vessel has broken in two, causing oil pollution to the surrounding area. Due to the seriousness of the casualty, the crew were evacuated from the vessel by helicopter.
* Part of the cargo of wood chip has been lost overboard due to the hull damage and it is clear a major operation will be required if the remaining cargo on board is to be saved. Vessel operators, NYK, have set up a crisis management centre to manage the casualty.
* It is possible that Salvage, General Average and recovery issues may arise as a result of this casualty.
* Should you insure any of the cargo carried onboard either vessel, we recommend that you contact us as soon as possible so that we can immediately start taking steps to protect your interests.